Saturday, September 27, 2014

Campaigning for a Friend

Ten years ago, if you would of asked me if I'd ever be campaigning for a politician, let alone be friends with one, I would've laughed. Yet, today, there I was, back up in Fishers, doing just that.

David George, whom I worked with at Kite and got to know more since leaving Kite through some other friends, Tony and Jen, has been on the Town Council for years. With Fishers becoming a City next year, he actually has a district now, and actually has to campaign for his re-election (since he actually has an opponent). And, even though we don't live in Fishers, Eric and I go help our friend out.

We did it last spring, for the primaries, too. Before that, I had never campaigned before, though Eric had. Thankfully. I've never been one for answering random knocks on my door, let alone being the one doing the knocking. I was surprised at how friendly people usually are.

Of course, I learned the trickery to it... you only knock on doors of people registered with the party you're affiliated with. Which means no controversy. Since it's done on the weekend, though, people often aren't home. Or just choose not to answer (like I would).

This does not make me any more of a fan of politics. I'm just helping out a friend. Don't see myself ever doing this for a random politician... still not my thing. Still don't agree with the way politics have become in this country. But that's for another blog.

No comments: