Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Polar Vortex - Round #2

"Well... at least the sun is out!"

I find myself saying that way more than I'd like. And the sun isn't even out all the time, which makes it even more depressing. I do not like winter. I do not like the cold. But I HATE not seeing the sun. I am definitely one of those people that can go into a deep seasonal depression if I do not see the sun for days at a time.

But back to the Polar Vortex - Round #2!! We woke up this morning to more sub-zero temperatures with even more frigid windchills. Luckily it wasn't quite as cold as they were initially predicting. Last night, they were saying the morning temp would be in the negative teens and the windchills would be near the negative thirties. Brutal! I'll take my -6°F with a windchill of only -11°F.

Never thought I'd say that!

So, unlike last time, we didn't have over a foot of snow to deal with before this nasty cold streak hit. Which means we don't have frozen-over snowpack on the roads. Yay! So we have clear roads, with lots of ugly, dirty snow along the edge... but no issues with it, other than it being depressing to look at. Yet, the City still 'closed down' today, meaning all the City offices were closed, and just about every school district, as well. Yet, private industry (me) still bundled up and headed to work.

But this lead to an interesting, and sad, conversation Eric and I had this morning... a lot of people are complaining that the mayor had this directive, where he suggested businesses and schools all close today, to allow people to avoid the frigid outdoor temperatures. Sadly, he had to do this, because we now live in a society where no one takes responsibility for what happens to them or their loved ones, and immediately look for someone else to blame. So if he DIDN'T send out this directive, leaving people on their own to make the decision, and if something dreadful would've happened, somehow, he would've been at fault.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

This goes back to the weak generation we're raising now. Sadly, this is what they see, and this is how they will act. They will never take responsibility for anything and always look anywhere but the mirror for who to blame. Not every kid out there is like that. But unfortunately, the ones who have been raised to take responsibility for your own actions and make your own life happen aren't in the majority, and won't be able to carry their entire generation.

Okay... that was a off-subject ramble. Back to the weather. It's cold. That's all I can say. Even today's high temperature was way too cold for me. This winter is just sucking the life out of me.

No comments: