Sunday, December 16, 2012

New Car Smell

I've blogged about my Baby Bleu before... I love my Xterra. Loved her from day one (June 17, 2000), with only 16 miles on her. Yep... 12.5 years old tomorrow. I rolled over 197,000 miles last week. She's been good to me - never left me stranded, even when I thought it was inevitable. Somehow, she always got me home. Which is why it was so hard to let her go yesterday.

I can't say I didn't know it was coming. Eric started hinting at a new car this time last year. But I pushed it off, say she still had a lot of good life in her (which she did) and that there was no reason to take on a car payment (neither of us have had one for at least 5 years). But the little bit of yearning he had last year led us to know that this was definitely the time of year to buy if/when we do. Which it did seem to come this year. My Bleu wasn't a baby anymore and was starting to show her age - some major dollars (relatively) would need to be sunk into her to maintain her if we were to keep her longer, which we easily could've done and she'd have been fine for another decade. But with Eric traveling as much as he has been, he was just starting to worry I'd end up stranded somewhere, with or without the needed maintenance.

So off to the Nissan dealer we went (there was no doubt in my mind I'd be sticking with Nissan). This was after some research, of course, both in general, and on a particular vehicle we had been eyeing that seemed like too good of a deal to be true. And this was in the drizzly rain... but we decided last week we were going to do it, despite any weather, and this was probably not a bad thing for test driving purposes.

As we pulled in, the vehicle we liked online was right up front. We scrambled inside in the drizzle and were, of course, immediately met by one of the salesman. I think we threw him off by (1) actually seriously shopping on a day like this and (2) knowing exactly which vehicle we wanted to look at. So he pulled it into the garage, out of the rain, so we could get a good, full look, inside and out, of the new car. That was quite nice of him, actually - brownie points for him! Yes, I know that's his job, but I don't think either of us expected him to offer that up, especially since they were working on vehicles in the garage.

We liked what we saw, so we continued with our pursuit of a new car by taking it for a test drive. In the drizzly rain. No interstates for us, either - give us the narrow, neighborhood streets with parallel parking that I drive on daily! And yes, I did even parallel park it to make sure I could handle the non-Xterra type vehicle - I had become so used to my little SUV!

By this point, I was sold. So was Eric. It was just a matter of making a deal we were happy with. We knew what we wanted and had a folder full of research, comparisons, and a pre-approved loan. We knew what the fair market value was on this exact vehicle (and, surprisingly, they were already advertising below that mark). So it was just a matter of details and making sure there were no hidden fees or other crap. There was a little back and forth, mainly us trying to get that little bit more off... but at the end of the day, they really were up front with everything and laid it all on the table before we even asked. Done deal.

So a a few signatures later and handshake to seal the deal, and it was ours. A brand new, 2012 Nissan Armada. She's a beauty. No name yet - need to figure out her personality over the next week or so... but there are a few things bouncing around in my head. We'll see what fits. A lot bigger than my Xterra, but I'm adjusting quite quickly.

And yes... despite the acquisition of something brand new, I did tear up upon saying good-bye to Bleu. I managed a private moment to 'check to see I cleaned everything out', and send her off to her next life, which will be a good one. She's in the hands of people that can fix her up like new, and she'll be a great vehicle for someone else. The dealer even commented on how he could tell she was taken care of and, considering the age and mileage, was in really good shape.

Some of you might think I'm crazy to be so attached to a vehicle (I know Eric does), but the love is what makes the vehicle last. Like I said before, she was good to me... she gave me a great 12.5 years and while she wasn't my first car, she was my first decade long vehicle. More importantly, she was my Baby Bleu. A lot of memories in her... long roadtrips, a few Auburn tailgates, concerts, ballgames, even some off-roading early on...

I'm sure I'll have some great memories in the Armada, and I hold nothing against her for replacing Bleu... she's a great vehicle! And those who know me will laugh, but the first time we saw her (a few weeks ago), my first comment was that she matched the boots I was wearing. Which made me laugh to think that could actually match my shoes to the car I drive... not good. But funny, none the less. And maybe foretelling to the connection I'll have with her (and yes... I keep referring to the new Armada as a 'her'... no 'him' could possibly ride as smooth as her).

So here's to another decade (or more) in a great Nissan. This time, starting with the test drive at only 33 miles. I'm sure I'll love every memory made, and every mile driven. Just like I did with Bleu.

No comments: