Monday, December 24, 2012

Back to Florida!

Ah, traveling during the holidays... what fun it is... not.

I'm used to traveling. I don't do as much as I used to, but it doesn't phase me (aside from the trip anxiety the night before, but I'm used to that, too). Eric is very used to traveling, a little more than me (actually, a lot more than me). Even traveling during the holidays, no big deal. But this year...

This year was just kind of weird. We get to the airport and go to check bags, and the ticket agent tells us our flight it delayed and we might miss our connection. So they go ahead and confirm our seats on the NEXT flight out of ATL to JAX without actually changing our initial itinerary - this was just in case (kudos to Delta's customer service - FOR ONCE!). So we got to our gate, and again, unusually good customer service from the gate agent. I'm just not used to it from Delta!

Out flight from IND to ATL ended up being even more delayed than initially thought. But the oddest thing... right before we boarded, Eric and I both got calls from Delta about our flight from ATL to JAX... IT was going to be delayed, too! But it was still going to be close. But we might be able to make it work. Depended on how fast out pilot flew from IND to ATL, first.

I discovered something cool in the air, though... the Delta App on my iPhone works with the plane's wi-fi (gogo inflight) WITHOUT paying for a session. Score! I could keep track of the JAX flight while in the air. The good news was that it was getting pushed back more as we flew!

We land in ATL and check on my app, again, the next flight's status. According to it, we had about 15 minutes before the doors closed. We only had to go over one terminal... we could do this! Maybe.

We book it over to the next terminal, me in my 5 inch heels (I never wear heels when traveling - why did I choose today to wear them??). As we come up on the gate, we see something surprising... they haven't even started boarding yet! The boards hadn't been updated yet, but the flight had been delayed even more! We were going to make our original flight, that had been delayed, even though our first segment was also delayed. Everything worked out and we didn't get in super late! Only an hour late, instead. Yay!

So, despite all the delays, we made it to FL. Bags even made it (though mine did get searched, which is another odd story in itself - don't put a watch next to jars of home jam and a 6-pack of soda!). We finally made it to my parents in time for a late dinner and some Christmas Eve visiting. Now, we can relax.

No comments: