Monday, November 19, 2012

Florida Trip... FINALLY!

Until this past weekend, I had not done any significant traveling. A couple of trips to Chicago, and a quick weekend wedding out west in Spokane, but that was it. Which is very rare for me... But I finally managed to get in a trip back to FL this weekend. With purpose, of course.

I flew out on Friday into Jacksonville. Friday was 'the big day' for the trip. Or so I thought, at least. I did learn later that I was also a surprise visitor for my niece and nephew. How was I the last to know that?? But Friday... Friday was the reason I was really heading to FL.

Saturday was my Mom's birthday. Since last Christmas, Eric and I have been planning on a big birthday/Christmas gift for her this year... a new stove. She still had the 15yr old, builder grade (no woven window!) stove in the kitchen, despite upgrading the other appliances. So with some savviness, Eric and I got a good deal and schedule delivery of the new stove on Friday.

So my mom picks me up at the airport - I was totally watching the clock since I had been given a window, but we had plenty of time. But I was still watching it. We swung by Publix and met my Dad for a late lunch, and then we headed to the house. By this point, I was just waiting for the heads-up phone call from the deliverymen. It was no surprise they were slammed the weekend before Thanksgiving, so they ended up being a little late. But that ended up being a good thing.

Funny part was before I gave my Mom the card with 'the gift' inside, we were sitting at the table and she was pondering going to look at stoves over the weekend, since she might get a good deal before Thanksgiving. I just had to bite my tongue at this point, thinking, in the back of my mind, "just wait a few hours..."

Needless to say, she was thrilled by it! We broke it in Friday night rather quickly, baking a cobbler, a cookie cake, and some quick bite appetizers. And we continued to break it in on Saturday morning with breakfast. I do believe it will be well used over the holidays.

Saturday morning, after our late breakfast/brunch, we headed down to Palm Bay to see Kristin and the family. I had n idea I was a surprise to the kids until Friday night, so I figured this was going to be even more fun! Darian's soccer team was in a tournament, thought she wasn't playing since she had a cast on her arm. But she was still there to support, as was the rest of the Pitts' family. So we showed up at the field and met up with all but Darian on the sideline - she was on the team bench across the field. Kristopher was a bum and figured out I was coming already, so he showed little surprise. We watched the rest of the game, though, and afterwards, started walking around the field to find Darian.

As we walked and talked, getting closer to the team, Darian apparently saw her Mom and then did a double take on my. All I heard/saw was her scream my name and come charging at me. If that doesn't make you feel loved, I don't know what does!

We went back to their house and just caught up through the evening, ordering some pizza and then we did a little celebration with the cookie cake - we celebrated Kristin's, Darian's, and Mom's birthdays. Not too special or spectacular, but we got to taste the creation of Mom's new oven - it was the perfect cookie!

The next day we met back at the soccer fields for one game, and then went out to breakfast. Mom and I stole the kids away for a quick shopping trip before heading back to Jacksonville. As I figured it would be, it was a fun side trip for me. of course, we shopped our way home a bit - Christmas is coming, after all! We finally got back to Jacksonville, grabbing some take-out along the way, and got back to the house in time to see Dad for a bit more and catch-up with him.

This morning wasn't much more than getting ready to head back to Indiana. Oh, and taking Christmas decorations down from the attic so Mom could start getting things up around the house. I was kind of jealous, as I knew I hadn't started that yet! But we only got things down - nothing decorated. And before I knew it, it was time to head to the airport.

So yay for finally getting back to FL! Crazy to think I'll be back there in just over a month for Christmas. Where has this year gone??

No comments: