Friday, November 23, 2012

Black Friday Turned Grey...

Is it just me, or had Black Friday lost its excitement?

I remember when we used to get the Thanksgiving paper on Thursday morning, and pour through the ads and make a plan for the next day. We'd even include some of the things that didn't have ads, like outlet malls. Then Friday morning would come, and very early one, and we were off!! And usually home by lunch, DONE! But now...

Between the fact that all the ads are put on line before hand, and we even get all the ads delivered to out door the day before... eh. Plus, not you have Cyber Monday, which has just as good, if not better, deals. Then this year, you even have places opening on Thanksgiving night! I don't care what kind of 'guaranteed in stock' mumbo-jumbo you give me... that just makes Black Friday insignificant. The excitement is gone.

Maybe it's cause I'm older or I'm just not looking for the things that are the hot items on Black Friday... but I just don't think it's the same as it used to be. It's become one more thing that mass retailers have ruined for consumers. Sure, they get their buck from people still. But I rarely even look at the ads anymore for Black Friday. Why bother - the deals just aren't that special.

I'm looking forward more to Small Business Saturday tomorrow. Even if it's just my one favorite shop I go to. It's not about the sales they have, but rather, it's about supporting local. And my favorite spot, Silver in the City, has lots of fun stuff, anyway. Way more fun to go to, now.

No comments: