Sunday, October 28, 2012

My Last Political Vent... This Year... Maybe...

Okay, so I voted. I am lucky enough to live in a state that has early voting (yay for that!). Yesterday morning, Eric and I walked over to the courthouse, waited in a really short line, and voted. Glad that's over with... now can the politcal ads go away??

I know they can't. So many millions of people have not voted yet, and won't until next week. Less than 10 days, now, and all the craziness and mud slinging will be over. And what will have to show for it? A still very divided country. And why are they divided? Because this stupid, outdated, two-party system we call democracy divides a majority of the county. Bottom line - it's broke. And no one can seem to step up and actually fix it because that would mean going against the system, which means going against the money. Cause isn't that what is seems to be boiling down to - he who has the most money wins?

That doesn't seem right, does it? Yet, daily, instead of seeing the comparison of the different candidtae views on actual issues, we see who has raised more money to date. And that matters why? Bacuase more money equals more negative ads against the other candidate. Oh, and only in the so-called swing states for federal offices. We'll just write off a majority of the states as not needing to know anything. But that won't stop them from bombarding you with ads at the local/state level.

Wow. Sure makes you feel like your vote counts, doesn't it?

I think politcal ads needs to be against eleaction rules. Or at least all content must first be approved by some non-biased governing board and not allow anything about the other candidate - only speak to what your the candiate can and will (try to) do. This even goes for all those ads put out by lobbiest. Negative ads should be banned.

I'm going to do my best to tune out all the ads over the next week since I know they will actually be ramping up this week. But I already voted. They don't change my vote.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here in FL we had 12 candidates on the ballot. I recognized less than half of the names! My bad or money speaking? While I am not in favor of a two (major-)party system, it is probably more efficient that a series of runoffs or a BCS-like playoff.
We are not electing the president anyway. The Electoral College is (are) the chosen few. The media is also an active participant by giving pre-election predictions. More than 40 states have already been assigned red or blue status so only votes from those other swing states count. The fact also irks me that most states are red OR blue; they can split up their votes.
I agree that the system is in need of repair but I have no how-to suggestions.