Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween?

One thing that I DON'T like about living downtown is the lack of Trick or Treaters on Halloween night. I'd go through bags of candy when I lived in the suburbs. Now I get excited if I get ANY goblins at my door, downtown. Last year I didn't get any. The year before that, just a few, and I think it was only because Eric and I sat on the porch, making it VERY obvious we were giving out candy. I'm happy to say I've had a handful this year... but all in one cluster of kids. Bummer.

Granted, it is very cold this year. I know one of my neighbors across the street actually has his kid 'helping' hand out candy. They likely went to one of the many 'safe' events earlier in the week or last weekend. The other thing is that there's a lot of younger kids that may not even go out in this neighborhood - just too young. And maybe we just don't have enough participation in this neighborhood since there's not a lot of kids - which means we won't draw from other neighborhoods, either. Whatever the reason, it makes me miss the kids in the suburbs... except for maybe the teenagers that didn't try very hard on a costume.

It bums me out so much that I don't even decorate like I did at my old house. I'd always throw something fun outside, usually involving lights or sound...or both. But here, we're too far from the road for passer-bys to appreciate it and, well, I don't get a lot (if any) Trick-or-Treaters to make it fun.

*sigh*

Hopefully it'll get better as the kids get older. Eric and I have started to see this neighborhood become very family friendly and very kid friendly. So *fingers crossed* hopefully next year we'll see more kids and it'll just grow from there.

In the meantime, hope everyone else out there is having a fun and Happy Halloween!

No comments: