Saturday, October 6, 2012

A Fundraiser and a Friend

Eric is on a board for a non-profit community development organization, and being non-profit, they of course must have fundraisers. Well, last night was one such event. It was nothing crazy - a basic dinner fundraiser with raffles and such, but it turned out to be quite a nice even and I really enjoyed myself!

There were a few quirky things that weren't explained very well - you could tell this was one of the first times for such an event, but they hid it fairly well. One thing that was a little off that could've been explained better - your table had to collectively come up with a bid (donation) for your dessert (there was a table full of items) and the highest bid chose dessert first, AND got to go to the buffet line first. They didn't explain if it had to be cash, check, or if credit card could be used... as a table, we just came up with a cash bid. But when they announced the winner, it was clear that credit cards were involved. But no biggy - it turned out to be a neat idea, none the less.

The best part was that the event only lasted as long as an event like this should last - just over 2 hours. It probably would've been less without some of the early 'bidding' confusion, but no one felt trapped or that it drug out too long. Which was good, cause I had one more place to go last night.

One of my best friends, Chris, was in town - he moved to Texas a few years ago and I hardly get to see or talk to him anymore! But last night was the only 'free time' he had during this weekend trip, and I wasn't going to let another 6 months (or more!) go by without a little catch-up time with him. So Eric and I headed to the north side for a drink (or two) and some good quality time with Chris. I can honestly say, it was just great to see him after not seeing him for so long. I just love how you can pick up with a good friend, no matter how long it's been, and feel like it was just yesterday since you got to see each other. That is exactly what it felt like, too... now if I can only lessen the amount of time before I see him again.

No comments: