Thursday, September 15, 2011

Concert #4 - Katy Perry

Okay... so this concert came as a bit of a surprise to me... I actually won tickets on the radio! It was one of those 'sign up on Facebook and we'll call out winners on air' contests, so I signed up, never thinking my name would actually be called. But there I was at work, with the radio streaming online as background noise, as always. All the sudden, the radio becomes very clear and much more foreground noise as I hear, "This afternoon's winner is Kara Strickland!" Took a minute for it to sink in, but once it did, I was quick to make that phone call back to the station and claim the free tickets!

So, the show... went into it not knowing what to expect since I've heard nothing about her live performances. I figured LMFAO surprised me a couple of weeks ago, so you just never know! And I love Katy Perry's music! It amazes me how many hits she's had off of her latest CD, Teenage Dream! So I knew, if nothing else, I'd be singing along a lot! (And I was!)

As far as the rankings of concerts I've been to in my life, it falls somewhere in the middle. She can actually sing (and yes, she sung at least most of her songs - not a lot of lip-syncing here), so that was a definite plus. But unlike the likes of Britney and LMFAO, dancing only really happened in the background (aka - back-up dancers). But then that's not really her background, so I guess you couldn't really expect that (or ninjas, as we saw both at Britney's show and LMFAO's show... but not at Buffett). The stage set-up was 'cute' to say the least - Candyland meets Wonderland, essentially. Which was really the whole theme - almost too sweet to take! But when you saw the audience, you understood - most of them don't listen to the lyrics, just liked the blue wigs. LOL

One thing's for sure, her shows can only get better if she keeps piling on the hits! Right now, she doesn't have a lot to pull from. But another CD like Teenage Dream, she'll be set to tour and sing whatever she wants!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like her music, too, but don't tell anyone. I don't sing along though.