Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama Bin Laden is Dead!

Everyone knows where they were on September 11, 2001, when they first heard about a plane hitting one of the twin towers of the World Trade Center. Everyone remembers how the rest of the dreadful morning unfolded, and how the tragedy was evident for weeks after, even longer emotionally for all Americans.

Now we have another date to remember... May 1, 2011... May Day. This holiday has a new significance now, as it's the day we learned Osama Bin Laden was killed. Finally. After nearly 10 years, he was found and killed.

I wanted to jump online and immediately blog about this last night. But that fact alone got me thinking of how the media, especially the social media, has changed since 9/11... Facebook and Twitter were just an idea then, if that... Yet last night, so many people learned about this significant news event through the social media, not the news media in which we learned about the original attack. Instead of cell phone networks crashing, I'm sure computer servers were ready to crash as Facebook and Twitter and the like were bombarded with the news.

As I listened to President Obama's speech, I had chills. I had chills most of the night once I first learned of the news. Especially when I heard the crowd outside of the White House spontaneously start singing our National Anthem. What an amazing moment to remember. I know this is not the end of the War on Terror, but it definitely the close of a very long chapter in our Nation's history.

"Justice has been done." - President Barack Obama

1 comment:

pupil03 said...

It was so true when you said everyone found about it in the social networking sites.. :)