Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Mini Marathon

May already... which means "Race Season"... which starts with the annual One America 500 Festival Mini Marathon. Last year, I ran it. This year, I went back to my normal duties as a volunteer at the final Gatorade station. I like that spot.

The weather wavered all morning. All week, in fact, as the forecast seemed to be ever changing up to the morning of the race. Chance of rain, though they said it should hold off until most of the runners/walkers are finished. Well, as so often seems to happen, the weather forecast was wrong. It, in fact, started to rain at around 10am, about 2 hours too early. Just a light drizzle, but enough to wet everything and everyone down.

Luckily, I came prepared, as most of us did, with some sort of rain gear. So it didn't hinder us. Not sure how the runners felt, as it was still in the 50's when the rain came down. But I guess in the long run, it didn't effect us too much - Gatorade really cant get too watered down.

Every year, I am absolutely amazed at the nearly 35k people that do this every year. Every year sells out way early, too! Though I gotta say, as much as I enjoy the volunteering side, I kind of missed being in it this year. Even with my slight injury at mile 9 last year, I might have to try again next year... maybe go about it a little more light hearted and fun, too, with a camera or something. Might s well have fun since I'm not a 'serious runner' out there - the route has so many fun things to observe! We'll see.

Until next year!

No comments: