Saturday, May 14, 2011

Opening Day at the Track

As I mentioned in an earlier post this month, May is time the City of Indianapolis focuses on racing - it's Race Season! Memorial Day weekend brings the annual tradition of "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing!" Also know as the Indianapolis 500 for those not in the know.

Today was the official opening of the track for the month. It used to come earlier, but they shortened the 'month' to two weeks a few years back. They seem to think it's working... not sure some of the die-hards out there agree. Regardless, I was out there to hear the roar of the cars on the track! It was especially a big deal for me since I won't be making it to the race this year, so this may be my only venture out there.

Why today, you ask? Well, as a thanks to all those who volunteer for the many activities throughout the month, including the Mini Marathon, the 500 Festival committee provides volunteers tack admission and free lunch, as well as garage passes for the day. Pretty cool, huh? So I drug Eric out to the track with me to partake in a little tradition. They had classic cars set up to wander about and look at and the weather actually turned out perfect for the time we were there, which was just a couple of hours since we have commitments later today. So I don't think he minded too much.

But I gotta say, I enjoyed listening to the cars roar around the track finally. I do like that sound. I watched a few laps before Eric pestered me to finally leave - he just doesn't like it the way I do. I find it relaxing, though. In fact, I've had some great naps in the infield on race day. ha ha ha

This year is an especially big deal though... the 100th Anniversary of the Indianapolis 500! As you can well imagine, there's a lot of hype going into this year. Kind of cool, actually... I just hope they don't put too much into it that makes the following years look drab in comparison. Guess we won't know that until next year though, will we?

No comments: