Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Moving is a Total Drag

Moving really sucks. I'm not sure when or how I would've gotten moved out of my house if I wasn't unemployed. I thought I could knock it out in a week. WRONG!!

Granted, I've had no real deadline. Yes, I want to get it on the market or rented. But there's no one standing over me, telling me I have to be out by a certain date. Except Eric. And he adds a whole other level of stress to the situation. I've never had more tension in my neck and shoulders caused by pure stress as I have the past few weeks. To him, it should be a cut and dry, in and out process. But he also has half the amount of stuff I have - every place he's lived before the current house has been a fraction of the size of my house, PLUS, he's moved a lot in the past decade... I've moved ONCE... into my house! Well, not entirely true... I moved from Atlanta, to an apartment in Indy, where within the first 6 months, a signed a contract for my house. So I was pretty much ready to go by the time the house was built 6 months later.

He argues that I've know about this for nearly a year and should have been able to have this done awhile back. But then it goes back to the fact that I still have a lot of stuff and even with being unemployed and nothing else to focus on for three weeks, it's still taking time. Every weekend from Christmas until the wedding, and even through last month, I/we had something going on. So what was I supposed to do - take time off work? Not hold commitments to friend on the weekends? Completely drain myself of all energy and happiness right before the wedding? It wasn't that I didn't want to get moved... I just didn't have the massive chunk of time to do what I'm doing now.

And I'm still not done. All the big stuff has been moved. Now I have all the remnants... the things scattered on the floor that are waiting for their fate to be decided. Is it something that just didn't fit in a previous box? Something put aside for Goodwill? Or is it just something to be thrown away? Then there's the cleaning... (mental note - rearrange furniture more often). But at least that's easy as to what gets cleaned up... EVERYTHING!

The good news through all of this... I AM going through things. Five trips to Goodwill so far, and there's at least one, if not two more trips to come. And there's been three weeks of a very packed 90 gallon trash bin, as well. So there will be less stuff for next time we move!

2 comments:

Shaz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Andy said...

Do you want some cheese with your whine. Moving is the ultimate opportunity to decrap your life.

Andy