Monday, August 16, 2010

Crazy Work Schedule!

So I think this had to be about my most crazy work week since I did full time stock at Publix. It started out like a 'normal' week, but quickly changed...

One of my projects, the runway rehabilitation at Columbus Municipal Airport, finally started construction in the middle of July. The inspector, however, had a previously planned vacation, so I filled in for him this week. It's started out like a normal construction schedule... 7am start time, ending right around 5pm... no biggy. Then we started paving on Thursday...

Now, the past couple of weeks have been HOT in Indiana. Near record breaking, if not record breaking temperatures. So it was mid nineties every day I was down there leading up until Thursday. One element we must keep in check in the temperature of the concrete as it's placed. Well, that 90d temperature was quickly reached and exceeded when the air temperature was near 95. The solution? Night paving.

So my relatively normal days changed... we started at 4am on Friday morning, and even earlier on Saturday morning. And to top it off, I added this morning to the mix with a 2am start time since out inspector wasn't able to make it in that early on last minutes notice after his vacation - so I filled in until he could get there during his normal time.

Aside from the early time, though, the night paving was much better. The air was much cooler and nice to work in - it even hit a low of 66d this morning! So that was good for the machines and the guys doing the work. Not to mention the concrete. And one weird bonus was some spectacular sunrises! Saw more sunrises this week than I normally see in a year! So that was kind of cool.

Needless to say, this wore me out. I slept a lot over the weekend and got off at lunch today and took a LONG nap this afternoon. And I'm still tired! SO I'm off to bed for the evening... *yawn*

No comments: