Monday, December 29, 2014

Another Reason We Need Our Garage Done

So those who know me, know that I am desperately waiting the completion of our garage. We're fully designed and permitted... but the ground froze on us before the contractor could get started. Boo. Personally, I'm still hoping he can find a week sometime soon to get the foundation in - once that's in, it's a go, regardless of weather. But he has to have a few days to get the concrete to cure, not to mention the ability to dig in the ground, with the temperatures above freezing (ideally, well above freezing). Eric's not as optimistic as I am.

So, to add to our desire to get this done, when we got back from our trip early this morning, we notice something looked weird with Eric's car, which was parking directly in front of our house on Fletcher. Before we even got out to look, I said, "I think your car got hit!"

Sure enough, someone tagged the left rear side, making the tire, which was now tilted, making the car undrivable. WTF. So, instead of waiting, Eric decided to file a police report right then, and called it in. While it was the middle of the night, they still had an officer come out and fill out the report, and I simultaneously started a claim on my State Farm app on my phone - might as well get the process going. With New Year's Day a couple of says away (ie - another day of closure for businesses), it'd be good to get the car in for repairs before so the process could at least begin.

We only know it was a Volkswagen of some sort that hit him - they left a hubcap behind. But no note was left. We can't help but wonder how they got home... the damage left on Eric's car had to indicate their car was in pretty bad shape, too. So it kind of sucks that we had to go to our insurance with a hit-n-run. This is not a 'no-fault state' like Florida, where your insurance always pays. So this really sucks.

So now we are waiting to hear from the insurance company on the next step. I guess the silver lining is that my car is available (for the most part) this week since I don't have to go into work. But then that leaves me stuck at home. I'm sure he'll get a rental later this week... but for now, I get to mill around the house.

UPDATE: I talked to our neighbor and she recalls seeing a car with a broken axle and deployed airbags 'parked' at the end of the block on Sunday morning. I wouldn't have thought the damage to Eric's cars would indicate that much damage to another car, but maybe? Or there was another car involved and Eric's was a third? This new info doesn't nothing for us, regardless... but it's interesting.

No comments: