Sunday, August 10, 2014

Just Another Cubs Game... Again

You laugh, but I went to another Cubs game this weekend. This time, it was tickets I bout from a friend, that I forgot I requested and never really knew for sure they were mine until right before I won the Red Sox tickets. But what's one more baseball game roadtrip, right??

Instead of boring you with the standard mumbo jumbo about how they lost... again... and how cursed they all to never win another world series, I'm going to tell you about their big celebration going on this year. Wrigley Field turned 100 years old this year. While it's just 2 years younger than Fenway Park, it's showing it's age a little more with the lack of updates. But of course, I still love it.

So this whole season they've been paying tribute to the park, with lots of freebies and throwbacks for each decade it's been around. Here's a little known fact to those outside the Cubs Fans (and even some Cubs fans learned of this for the first time this year)... the Cubs were NOT the first team to play in Wrigley Field... The Chicago Federals were. They were part of a THIRD baseball league that was very short lived. It also was not called Wrigley Field until 1926, twelve years after it opened under the name Weeghman Park, after it's original owner.

There's so much more to that park, but if you really want to learn about, I'll let you go explore. After one last face... before it was a ballpark, it was a seminary! Crazy, huh?? And one last tidbit, maybe related, maybe not... even though the Cubs have won a World Series, they've yet to win one since they've call Wrigley Field home... the last world series won by the Cubs was in 1908, when they were still at West Side Park... so 104 years without a World Series win.

After visiting Fenway last month, I've become a supporter of the renovations they're seeking to do - it's needed. And I think it falls nicely after it's 100yr Anniversary. Of course, this support is only intact if they keep things historic and, as I said before, follow the lead of Fenway for how they did things.

So a new page is turning for Wrigley Field. Hopefully a new era with some more luck in the Cubs favor, including a World Series win. Maybe that, alone, is enough of a reason for some renovations. Regardless, I will love my trips to Wrigley Field and will cherish each one I've had, whether in the bleachers or the stands, in May or September, or any time between... and hope for many more to come.

No comments: