Monday, June 16, 2014

Coons' Wedding

So there was a prelude in my last blog about the wedding I was in Texas for. Well, that's this blog, now.

Chris Coons... one of my first friends made when I moved to Indiana, and one of my dearest friends because of some things we lent each other's shoulder to lean on for. I could always talk to him about anything, and we did talk about everything. In fact, I remember him telling me about Karin (his beautiful bride), and how he thought he lost his chance with her because he had blinders on. I told him to go tell her that... and ask for a second chance. I remember getting his giddy text about how he did talk to her, and how she was giving him another chance. And the rest is now history.

I was so excited to hear of his proposal and have the follow-up wedding invitation. If anyone deserved this type of happiness, it was him. Getting to go to Texas for the wedding was just a bonus!

The wedding hotel was a block from the venue, Brazo's Hall, making it easy for a girl in heels to get there. And the wedding and reception we all in the same place (bonus!). I actually didn't know to many of the other guests - Eric and I were some of the few from Indiana, aside from his family. Other had once lived in Indiana and/or went to school with him at Purdue... but most of the wedding guests were from right there in Texas, where Karin was from and a conglomeration of all the new friends he had made. But of course, the wedding wasn't about who I knew, it was he and his bride that were the focus.

They kept the ceremony nice and light, including the bridesmaids high-fiving him as they took their places, and the officiant even had a bit of a comedy routine since he knew the couple personally. There were actually quite a few laughs throughout the ceremony. It was very Texas, too, as the bridesmaids all wore cowboy(girl) boots. But it was still simple and while they took pictures, we went up to the roofdeck for a few cocktails.

The reception was back downstairs and it was nice to have room to spare in the hall... which means they had a nice sized guest list. After the buffet dinner, they went about much of the traditional things in a wedding reception... first dance, cake cutting, etc. The venue was one of those cool, rehab'd factory/warehouse places, which makes for cool backdrops, but sucky lighting for pictures. I kept having to make adjustments and then even more as I edit photos. But that's what photo editing software is for!

So, all in all, it was a wonderful wedding for a wonderful couple. Karin is just the sweetest girl and absolutely perfect for Chris, from what I can tell. They compliment each other in every way and I couldn't be happier for him. For them. I think he knew his soulmate was in Texas when he moved there... I know his heart has been in Texas for as long as I've known him. It always nice to see something work out so perfectly for someone, especially after seeing them go through so much in their life that wasn't the best. But as I always believe, things happen for a reason and you always end up where you're supposed to be... it's just a matter of which road you take to get there.

No comments: