Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Spring Work Schedule

The thing about spring is that it wakes up clients at work. All winter, they slumber away with their dreams of what they're going to build one day... the keyword there is that they just dream about it.

As soon as the first really warm spring day hits, the one where you can roll your car windows down, they suddenly realize they need permits to build what they want. Which means they need plans. Which means they need to give direction... to me. And they want the plans NOW. No... they want the plans yesterday!

I should be used to this. It's standard practice in my industry. A winter lull leads to lots of spring deadlines and chaos. I had to work today, even... yes, on a Saturday. It sucks. In the past three weeks, I've had at least six 'we need it now' deadlines of some sort... and those are the ones I can easily think of. I'll admit... there's some projects I thoroughly put out of my mind once they're out the door.

But even with the chaos looming, it feels good to be busy. It wearing me out and I'm in desperate need of a vacation - I don't get a spring break like most folks around me seem to. But I'd rather be busy than bored. Which happens for me too easily... but that's just my mind. If there's any chance of it wandering, it will. And a wandering mind means I'm bored.

But I still at least want my weekends. This sudden burst should only be for a couple more weeks, and then we should settle into a steady pace through the summer. Plus, there's construction starts, which get me out of the office. Which I really like. I am not a desk jockey - can't stand being at a desk all day. Granted, it's nice to NOT have to be outside in the winter... but I'd a least rather be running around to meetings then.

This is why I actually miss working at Kite... I really miss the travel. I never got bored at that job. There was always something going on, or some place I had to be. I didn't travel like Eric had to... but it was enough to keep me happy.

No comments: