Monday, March 17, 2014

St. Patrick's Day

Ah, St. Patrick's Day. The holiday that Americans turned into a drunk fest with every possible tradition that is NOT Irish. From the color green, to the four-leaf clover, to the food we eat.

Random fact... did you know that in Ireland, St. Patrick's Day was actually a DRY holiday for most of history? Yeah... no green beer there.

I remember when St. Patrick's Day plans were a HUGE deal. I would actually plan on meeting friends and hang out until the wee hours of the morning. And it was fun - no argument there. But, wow, times have changed! Most people I know don't go too far from home, IF they even go out.

My big thing now is making corned beef and cabbage - I found a killer recipe and it turned out great. Well, the one time I made it so far, anyway. And since it's a crockpot recipe, I can make it whether I'm working or at home on a weekend! Yay.

Ironically, that's another false tradition. The Irish actually eat beef and potatoes - the corned beef and cabbage, again, came from America. At least it came from Irish Americans.

At least this is one tradition I can keep around, no matter my age. I gotta admit, I wouldn't mind making it more often. But Eric says it's a St. Patty's thing.

No comments: