Saturday, November 16, 2013

Advantage to Living Downtown

I don't talk much about living downtown, and some of the advantages of it. Of course, for just about every advantage, I can find a disadvantage. But that 's just me, probably. It's not to say that I don't like living downtown (I do), it's more the fact that I can see the positives of both downtown living and suburb living.

Case in point... Eric and I can decide to go to a game or event at the last minute, and it really doesn't make a big deal, as far as planning goes. Last night, for example, we decided to meet some friends out at the Pacers game and then go for some drinks afterwards. Not a big deal. Ordered some tickets, picked them up at will call on my way home from work, and then we just walked over to the game. We didn't have to worry about what time we were going to leave to have time to park and/or eat dinner. No worries about how much we could drink before going home (not that we drink a lot, anyway). Just throw on a coat, grab a house key, and go. It's really nice to not have to drive.

 Similarly, we went to the Colts game last week after we were given some tickets to us last minute. Hardly a blip from out normal plans. We just walked down to the game, watched Indy completely implode, and left a little early because it was just sad.

But it's not just sporting events (though they are the primary last minute decisions)... we can decide to go out to eat, and not think about where we can park close to the restaurant. Decide we want to visit a museum. Whatever. And, if we choose, we can pretty much walk to where ever downtown from out house. The only sticking point, usually, is the weather. But even then, at least for big events, we'll still choose to walk because parking is such a pain.

So I will say that is definitely an advantage to living downtown. We wouldn't go to half of the events we do if we lived in the suburbs - just too much of a hassle. Now if only I could make the trains go around the City instead of through it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How far is "walking distance"?
Is public transportation readily available and have you ever used it?
How do you walk in some of those shoes you have?

FLgirl said...

Walking distance is within a half mile. Our mass transit sucks, so no, never used it in Indy. Chicago, yes. Indy, no. I try to choose my shoes appropriately if I'm walking too far. :)