Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A New Workout

Like just about everyone my age, I've reach that point in my life where maintaining a healthy lifestyle actually takes thought and planning. You no longer can depend on your high metabolism and 'normal' amount of activity being enough. Especially with the sedentary environment of an office every day of the week.

So in years past, I've turned to home workout DVD's with great success. My last experience was with TurboFire, which I loved! To get through the whole program, it was 20 weeks! Yes, you should work out a few days every week, regardless - but the program calls for 5-6 days of working out, which can become hard to stick with, depending on the time of year. It's NOT something you can follow if you do any sort of traveling. But it sure was fun!

Once I completed it, I tried to stick with it, down to just 3-4 days a week, picking out programs that fit into my schedule. But I found that without that schedule to follow, it was easier to shrug off and say, "I'll do it tomorrow or later in the week." Well, pretty soon you push it off until you stop doing it. Bad. SO after doing this a few times, I decided to try another program - one that didn't require 20 weeks, but something I could stick with for awhile, with a given schedule that my OCD self would follow (and freak out if I couldn't).

I again turned to BeachBody, the parent company that put out TurboFire. I had seen a few commercials for this other program called Insanity. Quite frankly, it looked promising, but also looked as if it lived up to it's name - Insane. But I figured if I was going to try to compress results into less than half the time, that's what it had to be. So last night, I began Insanity.

Wow. First thing you learn, just doing the Fit Test, is how UNfit you are! At least in terms on this program. The warm-up for each of these classes is equal to what a lot of people would consider the actual workout! I quickly realized that in the next 60 days, this program would live up to its name.

So right now, my attitude gives me the push and desire to make it through the next 60 days. But as I've talked to a few people who know of people that have done it, I'm learning it's going to be a tough 60 days. But worth it. So I'm hoping I DO make it through the next 60 days. I'm stubborn, so I'm sure I will. At least I think my stubbornness and OCD will help me in this instance, and make me push through any pain.

No comments: