Friday, April 19, 2013

Flooding to Freezing??

So... another weather blog... aren't you excited?!

This week, we've been pounded with rain! As of this evening, we we just above 5 inches for the week - that's a lot! And, quite frankly, the land wasn't ready for it. Nor were the people! We started having flooding and swollen streams/rivers like no one has seen in decades! Areas that haven't ever seen flooding were seeing flooding - a lot of people suddenly had waterfront property!

Thankfully, we weren't one of them.

Most of the rain stopped this morning, but the aftermath was severe enough to cause one neighboring metro area county to declare a travel advisory - nothing but emergency personnel on the roads! The news crews were showing some areas that were crazy flooded (that's what they're supposed to do, I guess). Of course, being the disaster obsessed person I am, I had to go find some myself. But I just went to an area that usually gets flooded and snapped some pictures and gawked for a bit. I was near a river, though, which was actually yet to crest. So I'm sure it actually got worse.

If all this wasn't bad enough, this afternoon it started spitting sleet, and snow flurries even fell a bit. What?? Yep... that last round of storms was a cold front blowing through, and now we're supposed to drop below freezing overnight. This can't be a good combo. Hopefully, the ground is warm enough that nothing actually freezes. The currents are definitely strong enough in all of these swollen waters - they shouldn't freeze!

So tell me... why can't Spring just get here and STAY here? I can handle a bunch of rain and some flooding (I can only say that since my home wasn't impacted), but to drop to freezing?? No. Not having it. I'm starting to think Mother Nature has a deal with one of these companies doing all the fracking... trying to keep us heating our homes longer (and more!) than usual.

No comments: