Thursday, March 28, 2013

March Madness

I think this is the least exciting time of the year for me, when it comes to sports. I just don't really enjoy college basketball, and when it comes to the tournament time, I just get tired of all the hype. For me, it's just 'blah!'

But I do love a good Cinderella story. I got to witness one close to home a few years ago, when Butler made it to the final game. While I didn't go to the game, it was cool to see the City rally around the small school on the north side. And it's great to see that they've become more of a fixture in the tournament.

This year, while it's not a school close to my heart, at least I knew where it was before the hype began! Florida Gulf Coast University, located just south of the Fort Myers Airport. I used to drive by it all the time when I was doing work in Naples. Granted, I knew nothing about the school. But I knew where it was, which was more than most people out there. And now they're in the Sweet Sixteen, the first 15 seed to do that! Good for them - gotta love an underdog!

And the thing is, these guys are fun to watch! It's like they've been scrimmaging (or at least taking notes) from the Miami Heat! They dunk like no other college team does. Just watch the video below - it's a trip! So yeah... if you can, you might want to watch them play Florida tomorrow. Even if they don't win, it should be a fun game to watch. Rumor has it that Florida refused to scrimmage against them earlier... so we'll see how that works out for them.


No comments: