Monday, March 25, 2013

'EPIC' Storm

No matter where you are, you've likely heard about the 'historic winter storm' that came across the Midwest.

Or am I being too presumptuous?

Regardless, a big storm blew through, and since it's March, it was an even bigger deal that usual. The entire week leading up to it, there was talk of how epic would be. And since it really started coming down last night, the historic significance has been the topic on the news.

Let me back up, though... we actually got an inch or so over Saturday night, and into Sunday, which was completely melted before the rest of the storm picked back up late afternoon/early evening on Sunday. But of course, those few inches are included in the grand total.

The claim was that plows were out beginning at 11pm on Saturday night, and they'd do 12hr shifts (as usual) until all was cleared. I'm not really sure where they were on Sunday, though... when I went to bed at nearly 11pm on Sunday, our road hadn't been touched. And we live on a pretty main route coming into downtown - we're usually one of the first to see the plows at work. It was kind of eerie to see our street so covered in snow, with no traffic, and complete silence as the snow continued to pile up. And we were only half way through, apparently.

I was happy to see the plows did finally make it by when I woke up this morning. But the snow was still coming down. We were a little over 7in in the early AM, which, if you included those first couple of inches that melted, would be accurate from my backyard's perspective. But I was just surprised that we were falling into the range of 6"-9" that was forecasted locally - they actually didn't over-predict, for once!

Despite my road being done, much of the City was still a mess. I'm on the late end of the rush hour, and there were still a lot of roads that, at least, needed to be plowed again. Maybe it was because I was on the reverse commute that they weren't paying attention to, yet?? I guess it didn't help that the snow was still coming down pretty good. Regardless, I didn't really mind - I've got Tuscany and she can surely handle any precipitation thrown at her!

It finally stopped snowing kind of late in the afternoon. So by the evening rush hour, things were finally under control, both ways. There was even a little melting happening, since the temperature got a wee bit above freezing. Of course, that would mean slick roads in the morning as it refreezes over night. But that's to be expected, I guess.

The final tally was actually just over 9in of snow. And this was some odd statistic... like the most snow falling after the start of spring since some date long ago... I didn't pay attention to closely to what they said. Mainly because the melting had already began by the time the news was on. And it looks like it'll all be gone in a few days. But it sure was epic!

No comments: