Saturday, December 17, 2011

Ugly Sweater Party

Our old neighbors (meaning they used to be out neighbors, but no longer are) have been hosting an annual 'Good Dish/Ugly Sweater Party" for three years now. Eric and I have gone every year, and though I've never tried hard to win at either the dis or the ugly sweater, Eric has been determined to win. He came in 3rd for his dish the first year, and 2nd for his dish the second year. Never came close in the sweater department. So he was especially determined this year.

Problem was, we didn't have much time to prepare since our honeymoon was just the week before, PLUS, he traveled to Florida TWICE this past week for work. But he felt he found a pretty good 'ugly sweater' while on one of his FL trips. But the dish was still unknown. In fact, it was unknown until the day of when i was looking online for ANYTHING to make since he wouldn't have time. Then I found it... the perfect dish (or so I thought)... Buffalo Chicken Bites. And then I was off to buy the ingredients. Looked like a simple enough recipe, though maybe a little time consuming with the coating. So I had no time to waste!

Sure enough, I was making them to the last minute, which may have been a good thing since they're best served warm. Eric donned his ugly sweater, and I my $8 sweater I bought at the same time as the ingredients, and we were off. As soon as we walked in the door, people got a kick out of his sweater. And as soon as my dish was revealed and tried, people were throwing out the compliments. Was this our year?

Time to vote. Since it's not an overwhelmingly large party, everyone got two votes to hopefully help keep the odds of any ties down. Amber tallied the votes... the ugly sweater winner - Eric. The best dish winner - Kara. We swept it this year - both contests we won! I must say, Eric was thrilled. I thought it was a trip, myself, considering how last minute it all was for us.

So Eric went home with a big grin on his face, vowing that next year we wouldn't try so hard and not try to win it all again next year. we'll see how that pans out.

No comments: