Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Project Inheritance

I must vent.

Back in November, I inherited a bunch of projects from a coworker who left the company. That part didn't bother me. What bothered me is that just about ALL of the projects were at or over budgets, flawed in design, and had no good direction to go on.

Well, I'm down to one of the last ones, which is under construction. What makes this one worse is that it wasn't even designed by my firm - we're just doing CA on it. There have been lots of issues with it, but I don't know which is worse - the design or the contractor! The plans are far from complete - many lacking details, bad layouts... I'm not even sure how it was approved by the locality. But the contractor, whom I know has done plenty of work in the area, isn't doing the simplest, most obvious things, and then crying "bad design!" Granted, some of the items he's called about are lacking from the plans, but any contractor that knows site work should just be able do what's correct - so much of it is common sense (ie Rip-Rap at pipe ends).

What makes it more difficult is that I have to defend these crappy plans, even though I know they're crap. But we can't take any fault on our end if it's even remotely right on the plans, so I have to make every effort to show the wrong is on the contractor's end. I really don't like doing that, but the fact of the matter is, that's what I have to do.

*sigh*

Oh well. Another day, another dollar.

No comments: