Sunday, August 17, 2008

Lobster Boil

I can't say I eat lobster very often - it's usually 'Market Price' on menus, which means major moolah. So obviously it's not a 'normal' purchase. But When Jen sent out an eVite for a Lobster Boil yesterday, I couldn't pass it up!!

Jen was in Boston last week and was able to buy a bunch of lobsters almost directly off the boat - CHEAP! So that 'cheap' price passed along was only $10/lobster. REALLY CHEAP!! As usual, Jen played the part of a great hostess with plenty of wine and other food to eat as we waited for the lobster boil to officially begin. We were going to race the lobsters to see who got boiled first, but they don't do too well on land. So we started throwing them in the pot. There was one little guy that was still pretty feisty - they had to put 2 rubber bands on each of his claws (compared to the normal one rubber band most lobsters get). And when they came off, those claws opened up and he was ready! He even snapped at the scissors and later at one of the other lobsters on the way into the pot! It's no wonder they rubber band the claws - to protect the other lobsters! Not sure who ended up with him, but I bet he was still fighting till the very end!! And maybe he still is today... ha ha ha

Before long, we were all sitting down to lobster dinners, complete with instructions on how to eat them 'properly'. And it was good! There's something about having to work to get to your food that makes it more satisfying... you definitely had to work for all the meat in these guys! Though I think most of us stopped with the claws and the tails - that's where the good stuff is, anyway. :) Actually, I tried to get more out of the rest of my lobster, but it's even harder work for less meat if you go much further! Phooey!

But it was all good, actually. It was a nice night (gorgeous weather!), good company, and just an all around relaxing time with friends.

2 comments:

jhalsey said...

Wow! Love the review and the pictures! It was so good to finally hang for a bit!

Glad you guys had a good time! I can't believe how quickly the night passed by!

Wendymples said...

So sorry I missed it! I was enjoying some good cuddling time with the kids at my sister's though after a full day of wedding photography. I definitely think you ate better than I did though - I had leftover pizza (with mushrooms... blech!