Friday, December 30, 2016

Christmas

Christmas! My favorite time of year! Though somehow, I swear, it gets more and more 'crunched' for time. And enjoyment. But I try not to let that dampen my joy!

As always, we headed down to FL to spend Christmas with my family. We had to compress it a little, this year, with my new job and all. Though I later learned, it wouldn't have been a big deal to do more time. But I was happy that I at least got the time I did. Even if it did come with complications.

What complications, you ask? Try a stomach bug! It hit me as we drove down - not a good combo to have with long drives in the car. We stayed overnight in Asheville, NC, giving us a new route and different scenery, for a change. I woke up the next morning, feeling really bad. You know that feeling, when you KNOW if you just threw up, you'd feel better? That was me. I think Eric didn't believe me, at first... but then he brought scrambled eggs into the room. And that was all I needed to go running into the bathroom. So while I did feel better after that, I wasn't 100% - and we still had a 7 hour drive ahead of us. So we found the closest grocery store and loaded up with ginger ale and an orange to smell (a trick I learned cruising last year). I made to Jacksonville with no more urges, but also didn't eat much along the way. We freshened up at the hotel, then went to my parents' to drop off gifts and such. I wasn't planning on telling them about my bug. Of course, we did do a quick detour to the beach, to breathe in that wonderful salt air - that always helps me!

Christmas morning... guess who has the stomach bug now?! Eric. So I headed to my parents' without him, in hopes he'd feel better by the afternoon and could come over then. Of course, with this new information, I had to tell them about my morning on the previous day... oh well. Makes for a Christmas memory, right?? Unfortunately, Eric never got to feeling better (he never threw up), and we had to do some Christmas without him, including opening some of the gifts and dinner. This is, of course, after we picked up Nan and Kristin arrived with the family. So we carried on and tried to enjoy things as best we could, knowing Eric wasn't feeling well.

The day after Christmas, Eric was feeling a little better, though still not 100%. But we were leaving that day, so there was no staying at the hotel for him. We tried hitting the beach again, just to see it again - it was a beautiful day! Why did I leave FL, again?? While we ate breakfast at my parents', he took another nap, trying to feel better. We then opened the rest of the gifts and stockings, getting him all caught up with the gifts he missed the day before. It felt like a super short trip to FL this year - a little bit of a bummer for me. We left a little after lunch to start the trek back to Indiana. We planned on crashing in Nashville along the way - I did not want to drive through the night. But it was an uneventful stop, as we did nothing more than go to Publix in the morning (to get ice cream to take back with us).

As I said, I love Christmas!! But it's been getting crunched as the years go by, which makes me sad. Being sick this year really didn't help. Maybe I can change that next year.. we'll see. I mean, surely I at least won't be sick again...

Hope everyone else had a good Christmas!

No comments: