Sunday, July 13, 2014

Nan's Turning 90!

My grandmother turns ninety this week! NINETY! What a huge milestone. I only wish I could be there to celebrate with her.

My family kind of threw a last minute celebration together for her, which includes my uncle and aunt picking her up in PA and driving her to FL, where she'll stay for a few weeks. All of this happened after Eric and I had plans to go to Boston next weekend, which is when the actual party will be. We were initially planning on driving out to Boston and stopping by her place to do a small celebration with her, but obviously, the bigger visit for her trumped our little plan, especially since ours wasn't firmed up yet. No biggy... just meant I wouldn't get to wish her a "happy birthday" in person. But I still wanted to be part of the celebration.

My mind was spinning for ideas and it occurred to me that I could put together a photobook for her, a kind of 'This is Your Life' look back type of book. Of course, this creative inspiration hit me late, as usual. So I scrambled and got some older photos from my family and put together a timeline, as best as I could. I was pretty happy with the way it turned out, even though it was apparent I was missing a good decade or so in the late 50's and 60's. Basically, when my dad and uncle were teenagers. I know there are pictures out there, just no one had them as quickly as I needed them. But the rest filled in quite nicely. I actually couldn't quite get as many of the photos as I wanted into the album that led to it being to heavy in one era, but I think I still portrayed everything pretty well. You gotta love the 'here and now' technology that we have to be able to do things like this to preserve memories, now. it was so much fun going through some of these old photos and I'm so glad I have them in this form, now. Some stuff is just not worth losing.

Now I only wish I could be there when she opens it next weekend. I've told my family that they'd better take lots of pictures since I can't be there... hope they do just that. I can't wait to see the finished product, myself (Well, I kind of have, but that's another story). I'm just hoping I can still get it there on time... here's hoping this isn't the time FedEx lets me down!

No comments: