Saturday, April 26, 2014

Make-A-Wish Big Wish Gala

As some of you know, my favorite charity is Make-A-Wish. I fell in love with the organization after listening to their Request-A-Thon over a decade ago, and it inspired me to start volunteering with them (and donating to them on a regular basis). But for some reason, it took me awhile before I started volunteering for what has now become my favorite event, the annual Big Wish Gala!

This is you 'typical' black-tie event where all the important people show up. At least that's what we like to tell ourselves. But it IS hosted, annually, by former Colts player, Dallas Clark, and we had Mayor Ballard go around thanking us for out time this year. So that's something. Even as volunteers, we break out our LBD's - at least the ladies do. It's that kind of atmosphere.

And it's magical! Last night, we had it at the JW Marriott. We didn't have quite as many Wish Kids there this year, but the ones who come are just as dolled up as the rest of the attendees... sometimes more! And every year, a 'princess' grants one of their wishes, live. It's joyfully tearful! I keep telling Eric we're going to actually attend one of these years, instead of me volunteering. I just want to experience the full event, at least once...

Aside from the admission and live 'raise your paddle' donations, there's auctions, of course. Usually around ten live auction, and this year, over 100 silent auction items! And the system they use is slick! It's all done on your phone - no signing your name on a sheet and constantly going back to look at it. You simply register your phone with one of the silent auctioneers, and click the link that's then sent to you, and you're off! You can view and bid on any of the items, plus, you get texted when you're outbid.

It's actually dangerous... and TOO easy! A good number of volunteers get involved with it, too... I even won this year. But it's for charity, right?? Without divulging too much (until later), let's just say I'll be checking something off of my bucket list.

All in all, it was another fabulous event and I'm sure they raised a lot of money, which they normally do at this event. I know at least one of the live auctions went for $10k!! Thankfully, the silent auction items don't go that high... well, thankfully for the little guys, like me! One year, Eric and I will go. It's too fabulous not to experience it from the other side!

No comments: