Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Could I Have Been...

I assume I'm not the only one that wonders 'what if?' or "could I have been...?" when it comes to what I do in life. Sure. I'm an engineer. And from what I've been told, I'm pretty good at what I do. But just like every job, it has its high and low points. But is that true? DOES every job have high and low points?

That's what I find myself wondering sometimes. Did I follow the path I was supposed to? And when I think about what else I might have done with my life, I think back to things I enjoyed in school, early on, and aside from physics and taking things apart (maybe I went into the wrong engineering field?), I always liked writing. I actually enjoyed some of the term papers I wrote (as long it was a topic I got to pick, to some extent, I did, at least).

And then there's this blog... why would I have started (and somewhat kept up with) this blog if I didn't enjoy it. Sure, it's often riddled with errors, but that comes from the rush I'm usually in to get something blogged. But in general, I enjoy it. Especially when I have something real to write about. You know... something actually about my life...

With Facebook reconnecting me to so many old friends, I've seen a few who ended up in the journalism field. I think most are writing pieces for various magazines, but there's one that's a contributor to more of a political magazine, which is what triggered my latest wandering mind. He's writing about his life experiences, for the most part. They always say to write about what you know, which if you can pull from your own life experiences, making it personal, it's even a better piece. So what if I would have been educated in the matter and actually 'trained' to write, not just ramble on a blog?

Add that to my photographic eye and I wonder even more. I can honestly say I'd love to chronicle something (more than my own life) in words and photos. That just sounds so appealing to me.

Is it just 'the grass is greener' theory taking over my mind? Most writers have deadlines, just like I do. So that would be the same pressure. Or would it? I've toyed with the idea of writing a semi-autobiographical book... but honestly, I've yet to really know how to start it. Literally. But that would probably fill this weird void I feel. But I have no time. Which is what it always seems to come back to.

I guess for now, this blog will have to continue to be my outlet. Maybe I'll win the lottery and can take a year off of work to fulfill this supposed 'need' I have to write. Which means doing something more interesting. At least I can dream, right?

No comments: