Monday, March 12, 2012

Daylight Savings Time = Unnecessary

When I first moved to Indiana, they didn't do daylight savings time, and I LOVED that! It took awhile to get used to, but after I first adjusted to my family changing times and me not, it was no big deal. I thought we had the best of all times... winter obviously was the same as everyone else, but then in the spring, when everyone else went to DST, we still had standard time and still saw daylight in the AM and the darkness fell and a normal hour at night.

When the debate came up to START daylight savings time, I was avidly against it! Especially when they were talking about going to Central Time - I lived that on this longitude - it would get dark at 4pm in the winter! It SUCKS! But on the flip side, on Eastern Time during DST, it's stays light until nearly 10pm during the peak of it! That sucks, too! I'd rather be able to drive to work in a little daylight! Why did they want to do this again?

Oh, yeah... it saves energy. What??? Who are you kidding?? Just because you don't have to use lights at night for as long, doesn't mean you don't use them less. Since we are workaholics in this country, we get up way before dawn, anyway! Now they just have to be on longer in the morning. Hello!?? You didn't magically gain an hour of light - you don't control the rotation of the planet - it just shifts the hours when you get the light!

A majority of the world no longer recognizes daylight savings time. There are even some parts, mostly is the less civilized parts of Africa, that NEVER recognized it. Most of Asia and Australia no longer recognize it. Ironically enough, some of the most industrialized countries are the ones who still recognize it. Who are we kidding? In today's age of technology, we're the first ones who should've STOPPED recognizing it! Yet here we are, still practicing it. We still mess with our internal clocks twice a year to do what? Nothing that really does us any good.

I know this is only a blip on any political radar. I can almost say, without a doubt, I'll never see this county wake up and realize the unecessariness of doing this. I hate that Indiana went backwards in this practice. But I'll stop here before my tyrade goes off on a tangent. It'll only get worst the deeper we get into this coming politcal season. So better to spare anyone that reads this now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...and your mother wholeheartly agrees with you on this one!