Friday, January 13, 2012

Winter Finally Showed Up

I thought it would just pass us by this year, barely phasing us and our day to day lives. You know... it would just be Spring before we knew it. We were still getting into the 50's in early January, after all...

It's nice to dream sometimes.

Winter came in hard and fast today, with the temperatures dropping from a 'comfortable' 36 degrees, just above freezing, to WELL below freezing with a windchill taking us to below 0. Cold weather does not make this girl happy.

It started with some light snow late this morning, and grew steady through the afternoon. It stopped for a bit before rush hour, but we were promised more was to come. And it it did. But not before I had to leave work and head home. I walked out of my office to find some of the snow had iced over, including on my car, freezing the doors shut. Awesome. I had to resort to popping my rear hatch and climbing in over the seats. Thankfully, I don't think anyone was witness to it. Not sure why I'm even writing about it now.

It snowed through the night with lots of wind and bitter cold temperatures. This was not the way to break us into Winter, Mother Nature. What happened to the gradual decline in temps through December before we got to weather like this?? It didn't look too bad when daylight broke. The salt crews stayed on top of what came down and the roads were very drivable. But it was still cold. Really cold! About 15* with a windchill still below zero.

But you know what? Despite the frigid temperatures, it looked pretty. So long as you could stay inside. Which I tried to do as much as possible, aside from my trips between the car and various buildings. It can warm up, though... at least make the wind stop.

*dreaming*

No comments: