Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Preparing for the Super Bowl!

Few Cities get to see it happen to them, and this is the first time for Indy to see it happen... Super Bowl preperations! And talk about a lot of craziness!

With my proximity to downtown and the stadium (just a half mile west of me!), I'm truly witnessing everything! To top it off, I'm volunteering, so I'm getting some even earlier previews to it all! Wow... talk about a lot to do in a little time!

Of course, since we didn't know who was even coming to the SuperBowl until last Sunday, only so much could be done. Plus, they wanted to keep a lot of the detail under wraps until the last minute possible. But it's all coming to light, now, from the huge banners and building facade masks, to the astroturf running down Capital Ave under the ziplines. It's amazing to me how much a City is willing to inconvenience its residents for an event, though... I think most of us are taking it in stride, but the amount of street closures, and even parking closures, is pretty intense for a compact City like Indianapolis.

As far as volunteering goes, I'm pretty stoked because I got to pick up my uniform last week, complete with a 'Super Scarf', which was one of their big goals for volunteers this year - a handmade scarf for every volunteer! And with it being the NFL, they didn't go cheap with the rest of the unifrom, either! Not sure if the 'winter coat' they provided is truly warm enough, but most of my volunteering is inside, anyway. Can't wait to volunteer now!

So the next week and a half or so, there will probably be a few Super Bowl related blogs. I hope to spend one afternoon just walkind around and taking it all in (and taking photos, of course!). As I hear more and more newscasts about things happeneing, I'm realizing there's more and more to take in. It's all so exciting!

No comments: