Sunday, October 30, 2016

Haunted Hilbert

Eric and I tried something new this year. We don't normally do anything for Halloween - we don't even usually get trick-or-treaters. Which makes me sad, considering I used to get a bunch when I lived in Fishers. But this year, we decided to check out the Haunted Hilbert, which is one part party, one part fundraiser. But mostly party.

And not just you 'dress up in costume' type of party. Oh, no... this was a fancy masquerade style party! Which I have to admit... I have wanted to go to a fancy masquerade party for a long time, so I loved the fact that Eric wanted to go to this event! I got to dress up (think ,long dress, formal like dressing up), AND find a fun mask to wear!

So the party concept was pretty simple... they decorated the theater space in 'haunted house' décor, complete with flickering candelabras and cobwebs. There were drinks and hors d'oeuvres throughout the space, as well - but nothing heavy. Live musicians played in the lobby space every 15 minutes, or so - nothing too loud or overwhelming. Sometimes it was more of a performance with some actors, so guests gathered in a circle around them. There was also a 'photo booth' set up, complete with props (thought we chose not to use since we already had masks on) - it was a big hit, as we had to wait in line for a bit. But near the end of the evening, they bravely opened up the stage for dancing with a DJ set up. I say they were brave for the mere fact that they allowed guest up there with drinks in hand... but I guess this was a more mature crown than your night club dancing types. All in all, it was a good time.

This was only their second year doing this. You can tell the ISO is trying to bring in new supporters for their shows and the orchestra, as a whole. Not sure if this works, but at the least, the fundraiser portion helps, I'm sure. We'd likely go again, if it continues next year. Maybe grab another couple for a double date, of sorts? We'll see.

No comments: