Sunday, May 22, 2016

Bubba's a High School Graduate!!

I can honestly say that this day came up on me fast! I swear, just a couple of years ago, he was falling asleep in my arms. And didn't he just come up here for 'summer camp' at ISU just recently??

Kristopher graduated from Bayside High School on Friday. I'm still in disbelief that this day has come. Not that I'm surprised... it just seems like time flew by. I was happy I was able to make it down for his ceremony - unfortunately, Eric had a prior/bigger commitment, so he couldn't make it. So it became a 'me' trip (aside from the family stuff), which was fine. I flew down late Thursday night, since the ceremony was on Friday. I flew into MCO, so I stayed near the airport, rather than drive over to the Space Coast. Worked out well.

Friday morning, after a quick breakfast at the hotel, I was off to the east coast. I had no commitment to be anywhere until later, which was fine by me. I had places to see on my one day in town on my own. But first, along the way, I went by the bookstore of Kris' future college, Florida Tech. I bought a few small token additions to his graduation gift. Just for fun. From there, it was the beach!

Like that surprises you.

I only actually stayed at the beach for about 2 hours. For starters, it was hot. I'm not used to that anymore, even with the water right there. Besides, the water was still really cold. Secondly, the standard afternoon storm blew in, so I took that as my cue to head to the hotel, settle in, and get ready for the family time.

The ceremony was your standard fair high school graduation. Well, by FL standards, which means on the football field, rather than in a gym or auditorium. At least his was after sunset, unlike mine, at the peak heat of the day. Pretty good size class, and Kris was a little more than halfway through the list. But finally, they called his name and we all cheered for him. He graduated with a couple of honors - AP and BETA. So he looked all snazzy in his special cap and gown. Took awhile to find him afterward, amongst all the people, but we finally did, and snagged a few pictures before he headed out with friends to celebrate. We headed back to Wanda's to catch up a bit. But then I headed back to my hotel... on the beach.

This was the big 'me' weekend item. I rarely get to stay on any beach, let along an east coast beach. So, while it is way early, I set a little alarm so I could see the sunrise (with full intentions of going back to bed afterward). When it went off Saturday morning, I looked outside and I thought it was going to be a little disappointing, as far as sunrise shots go. While I had a decent view from my balcony, I was missing some good foreground. So I threw on some shorts and a tee, and went downstairs to the actual beach. Finally... with some dunes in the foreground and the sunrise spectrum bounding off the clouds, I got what I wanted. Yay! Back to bed for a couple of hours before the family cookout back at Wanda's.

Saturday was pure family time. Caught up some with Nan and my parents as well as with Wanda, whom I hadn't seen since Larry passed away. Finally got to catch up with the graduate, as well, and even met Darian's boyfriend. Gregg did some grilling, and we had some cake and gifts for Kris. It was a nice day. But alas, I had an early flight this morning, so I had to head back towards Orlando, since I wisely chose to stay at a close hotel again.

That alarm went off early this morning. And while I got home an early hour, I took a nap. While is was, indeed, a nice weekend of family time,it still wore me out. But I'm so proud of Kris. Can't wait to see where his college career takes him!

No comments: